Thursday, October 08, 2009

Selected as a 2010-2011 "Road Scholars" Speaker by the Arizona Humanities Council

On September 28 of this year, I received word that I have been chosen by the Arizona Humanities Council as a participant in the Road Scholars Speakers Bureau. What an honor for me to be chosen as a scientist and speaker available to give presentations about my work to so many deserving organizations. The program begins in January, 2010. I have been asked to prepare up to four lectures that can be given to many different types of audiences including scientists, service organizations, school groups, and lay people of all types. With the budget crisis looming over the state I was surprised to hear that our legislature didn't "de-fund" such a worthwhile program.

I will give lectures in four topic areas: 1) Ancient Landscapes of the American Southwest; 2) Carving Grand Canyon: Evidence, Theories, and Mystery; 3) Antarctica: From Tourism to It's Role in the Climate Change Debate; and 4) Sedona Through Time. All of my lectures will be given as Power Point presentations and will include book signings at the end of the events.

If you belong to an organization here in Arizona and would like to schedule me for a talk to your group, see the criteria here.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations Wayne. Maybe you'll be speaking in Prescott then I will attend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wayne, I've passed along this "Best Blog Award" to you. I really like seeing your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Gaelyn! I appreciate it. If you know of any service organizations in Prescott who would like to have me give a lecture, pass them on the the Arizona Humanities Council. Thanks for reading!

    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:17 AM

    spookGood going Wayne!!! You make me so proud.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:18 AM

    It was your Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:28 PM

    I am extremely grateful to Blakey and Ranney for writing and sharing their work so freely with the rest of us. "Ancient Landscapes" is a hallmark book that helps share this incredible dynamic changing climate story with students and visitors from around the world. It is through such books that we can make a bit more sense out of the pending climate change our area will undergo in the next decade and beyond-(albeit a mere blip on the geologic time scale). I suspect it will enhance converstations regarding such changes-not to accept and bypass humans role- but strenghten, stimulate and excite all of us into more action. For the first time in ancient landscape evolutionary deep time, can humans possibly move the relentless tick tocking back to avoid what could be a similar experience our planet went through during the agony of the great Permian and Cretaeous extinction events.
    No doubt, Blakey and Ranney have put into motion climate change conversations that will be considerably more intellectually robust with such a great geologic story to refer to. extreme regard, jbm, Page. Az

    ReplyDelete

If your comment will not post, email me with the problem.